This page contains reports from the Burma Campaign UK and other groups about the situation in Burma.
Tyrants, Tycoons and Tigers: Yuzana Company Ravages Burma’s Hugawng Valley
Report by The Kachin Development Networking Group (KDNG).
A bitter land struggle is unfolding in northern Burma’s remote Hugawng Valley. Farmers that have been living for generations in the valley are defying one of the country’s most powerful tycoons as his company establishes massive mono-crop plantations in what happens to be the world’s largest tiger reserve.
In 2006 Senior General Than Shwe, Burma’s ruling despot, granted the Rangoon-based Yuzana Company license to develop this “agricultural development zone” in the tiger reserve. Yuzana Company is one of Burma’s largest businesses and is chaired by U Htay Myint, a prominent real estate tycoon who is running in Burma’s upcoming 2010 election.
- Innocent Kachin Farmer Remains In Jail – Free La Ring!
- 1,000 Letters About Burma’s Political Prisoners Delivered To William Hague
- Sentencing of May Sabe Phyu and Maran Jaw Gun Highlights New Tactics of Intimidation
- Political Prisoners Continue to Be Used as a PR Tool by Thein Sein
- 37 Organizations Urge President Obama to Update Burma Blacklist