This page contains reports from the Burma Campaign UK and other groups about the situation in Burma.
Tyrants, Tycoons and Tigers: Yuzana Company Ravages Burma’s Hugawng Valley
Report by The Kachin Development Networking Group (KDNG).
A bitter land struggle is unfolding in northern Burma’s remote Hugawng Valley. Farmers that have been living for generations in the valley are defying one of the country’s most powerful tycoons as his company establishes massive mono-crop plantations in what happens to be the world’s largest tiger reserve.
In 2006 Senior General Than Shwe, Burma’s ruling despot, granted the Rangoon-based Yuzana Company license to develop this “agricultural development zone” in the tiger reserve. Yuzana Company is one of Burma’s largest businesses and is chaired by U Htay Myint, a prominent real estate tycoon who is running in Burma’s upcoming 2010 election.
- Open Letter from Myanmar/Burma Civil Society to the United Nations Human Rights Council
- UN Human Rights Council Burma Resolution Must Not Drop Demands For Action
- PWO condemns Burma Army shelling of village, killing headman and injuring two women
- British Government Downplaying Human Rights Abuses In Burma - New Briefing
- David Ward MP raises plight of persecuted Rohingyas in British Parliament