News and Reports
Lloyd’s Receive 1 Email A Minute Urging Burma Pull Out
Supporters of the Burma Campaign UK sent one email a minute to the management of Lloyds of London, last week, urging them to stop Lloyds syndicates insuring companies in Burma.
The email campaign, launched Wednesday, targeted the senior management of Lloyds and was copied to the management of Lloyds syndicates that are known to insure companies in Burma.
Our supporters are clearly outraged that Lloyds doesnt care if their syndicates help to fund a regime that uses rape, torture and murder to oppress its own people said Johnny Chatterton, Campaigns Officer at the Burma Campaign UK. Lloyds must realise that if they dont end their involvement in Burma soon they will be branded by Burma in the same way that Barclays was with Apartheid South Africa and Exxon are with climate change.
The British Government wrote to Lloyds chairman, Lord Levene in September, voicing their disapproval of its involvement with Burma. Sources inside Lloyds indicate that Lord Levene has thus far failed to stop Lloyds syndicates insuring companies in Burma.
For more information contact Johnny Chatterton: 020 7324 4714
Note to editors
The Senior Management of Lloyds, as outlined on the Lloyds website, comprises the Senior Management team, the Council of Lloyds and the Franchise Board.
Lloyds syndicates known to insure companies in Burma include Catlin, Atrium (Ariel Re), Kiln (Tokio Marine).
The email action was launched Wednesday 22 October. It is viewable here: http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/index.php/burma/campaigns/insurance-campaign/120/114 The action is ongoing, at its peak Burma Campaign UK supporters were sending one email a minute to the management teams targeted.
- Investor Pressure Moves Toyota Affiliate to Divest from Joint Venture with Burmese Regime
- 115 Civil Society Groups Urge China to Suspend Disastrous Pipelines in Burma
- Burma Campaign UK Welcomes EU Renewal of Burma Sanctions
- Largest Lloyd’s Managing Agent Pulls Out of Burma - Cancels Burma Insurance
- British Government Must Investigate If UK Insurers Bribed Burmese Junta
- Biggest Burma Dirty List Ever Published - 30 Companies Exposed
- Burma Campaigners to make direct appeal to Lloyds staff
- Lloyd’s Receive 1 Email A Minute Urging Burma Pull Out
- Boycott Success: Cotton Traders Pull Out Of Burma
- Cotton Traders faces Boycott over Burma Links
We desperately need your help.
Burma Campaign UK is making a difference, but without support from members of the public our work would end.