News and Reports
John Bercow MP calls on UK to push for UN and EU action on Burma
John Bercow MP, Chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Democracy in Burma, has condemned the vicious response of the Burmese regime to the peaceful protests that have taken place in Rangoon this week. It is clear that the military junta is seeking to intimidate the long suffering people of Burma. Despite its attempts to persuade the international community that it is genuine in seeking reform, the brutality it has shown in recent days exposes the truth about this barbaric regime.
John has called upon the British Government and the international community to take immediate action. In a letter to the Foreign Secretary, the Rt Hon David Miliband MP, John said:
“I implore you urgently to raise this matter at the EU and the UN. It is vital that the international community supports the brave people of Burma. For 19 years, UN has been content to wring its hands impotently whilst the regime continues to brutalise its citizens. The UN envoy, Ibrahim Gambari, is due to visit Burma next month. It is vital that he sends a clear message to the regime and sets a deadline for genuine reform, including the release of all political prisoners. I hope that the British Government will lead the calls for reform.”
- No political activists must remain in Burma’s jails: Free Zaw Zaw Aung
- All Burma VJs Freed
- International court condemns Burma junta for its illegal and “grotesque” record on detention
- Burma Uprising 1st Anniversary Protesters Demand Prisoner Release
- Burma Activists Trial More Charges Than Bin Laden
- Burma Justice Committee presents petitions to the United Nations
- dontforgetburma.org Launched Today
- Security Council must force Burma regime to enter into talks
- Britains politicians unite in calling for democracy in Burma
- NCGUB Welcomes EU Resolutons
We desperately need your help.
Burma Campaign UK is making a difference, but without support from members of the public our work would end.