News and Reports
Burma Campaigners to make direct appeal to Lloyds staff
Democracy campaigners will today distribute open letters to Lloyds staff explaining how Lloyds of London is helping to fund Burmas brutal dictatorship.
Lloyds are helping to fund a murderous dictatorship that rapes, tortures and kills those who call for human rights and democracy said Johnny Chatterton, Campaigns Officer at the Burma Campaign UK. The management of Lloyds seem to think it is OK to help fund this brutal dictatorship, theyre ignoring British Government advice, theyre ignoring the wishes of Burmas democrats. We hope Lloyds staff will take the time to listen and question Lloyds Burma policy.
Three Lloyds syndicates are known to insure risk in Burma, Catlin, Atrium and Kiln. Lloyds of London refuse to reveal if other syndicates currently insure risk in Burma. Lloyds have not responded to repeated requests from the Burma Campaign UK to reveal all the sectors of Burmese business that are insured through the Lloyds market.
The distribution of letters will take place between 11:30 and 14:00 today. It is not a protest, it is an attempt to engage with Lloyds staff and elicit their support.
For more information contact Johnny Chatterton on 020 7324 4714
Notes to Editors
About the Insurance Campaign
The Insurance Campaign aims to make Burma less attractive to foreign investors by making it more expensive and more difficult for them to insure their operations in Burma. It is part of a carefully targeted policy designed by Burmas democracy movement to cut the juntas economic lifeline, this will decrease the amount of money the regime can spend on arms and increase pressure on the regime to negotiate with Burmas democracy movement.
Burma’s democracy movement has called on companies not to invest in Burma, pointing to the fact that foreign investment and trade has enriched the regime, but not benefited most ordinary Burmese people. The regime spends around half its budget on the military and just 1.4% on education. Insurance is vital for the companies that invest in Burma and give the regime millions of dollars everyday.
- Investor Pressure Moves Toyota Affiliate to Divest from Joint Venture with Burmese Regime
- 115 Civil Society Groups Urge China to Suspend Disastrous Pipelines in Burma
- Burma Campaign UK Welcomes EU Renewal of Burma Sanctions
- Largest Lloyd’s Managing Agent Pulls Out of Burma - Cancels Burma Insurance
- British Government Must Investigate If UK Insurers Bribed Burmese Junta
- Biggest Burma Dirty List Ever Published - 30 Companies Exposed
- Burma Campaigners to make direct appeal to Lloyds staff
- Lloyd’s Receive 1 Email A Minute Urging Burma Pull Out
- Boycott Success: Cotton Traders Pull Out Of Burma
- Cotton Traders faces Boycott over Burma Links
We desperately need your help.
Burma Campaign UK is making a difference, but without support from members of the public our work would end.